Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Week Six: A Rich Fantasy Life

            I didn’t really see a specific question pertaining to fantasy but you touched on escapism related to Fantasy and Tolkien’s view in specific. I totally agree with Tolkien view “that readers "escaped" into fantasy literature the way prisoners "escaped" from jail. Tolkien saw the genre we now call fantasy literature as a necessary antidote to modern life.” Growing up extremely sheltered as a child I spent most of my time growing up playing video games, watching films and then creating my own stories in those words in my back yard. When I was old enough my dad sat me down for an entire weekend and made me watch the Trilogy films of Lord of The Rings. My life was never the same after seeing the movies. I absorbed every little bit of Middle Earth that I could. I watched the films over and over again and read the books multiple times. By high school I was fluent in Sindarin (since then have lost it :’( )
            My point in all of this was that I immersed myself in the world, the mythology, and the characters. Because there were so few chances for me to have adventures of my own being a young PK, the world of Tolkien provided me with lengthy descriptions to lose my mind in.

            As I’ve grown I’ve since lost touch with a lot of the simple wonder I would experience just by spending time with myself. I see myself now in Frodo’s shoes after his Bilbo left after his birthday in the beginning of the fellowship. I find that all my heart draws me to have gone with Bilbo instead of staying with the real world. Hopefully my adventure will come soon, and I will have a there and back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment