Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Week Five: Witches and Women in Genre

Week 5

            I personally believe that any archetype is a stereotype. I touched upon this during class but I wanted to expand upon it. To me everyone’s reality is different and not ever similar to anyone else’s regardless of if the information around them. Because just because there is information out there in the world for us to base our opinions of people doesn’t mean it is all received the same way into our brains. This is where interpretation comes in. I understand the point of archetype and its hope to try to categorize characters into a certain type of person but I think that is extreme limiting and only encourages copycat writing in the future. I think trying to categorize people in the first place is futile. There is so much that is NOT known in the world (what we touched upon during the new weird stage) that trying to identify us just seems silly. Why not just create a character completely unconventional. We all have women AND men in our lives that blow our opinions and perspectives out of the water because they choose not to gobble up what society force feeds us. To me all archetypes and stereotypes are the same regardless of how different they are because they are so limiting to the imagination. I don’t think the creative part of the brain needs a basis of which to pull from. You think of children and how they can think of insane things when they've had so little exposure to the world and we find it silly and yet we praise the mundane mind of an adult that was watered down by our "archetypes." 

No comments:

Post a Comment