Monday, November 10, 2014

Week Eight: Mythic Fiction and Contemporary Urban Fantasy



How was myth reinvented within the context of the story you read for this week? In what ways were the myth made relevant to the contemporary world?


Within the first few chapters of reading this novel I honestly didn’t know if I would be able to finish it. The fantasy attempt by seemed awfully lackluster to me. The whole brothering being a spider bit seemed interesting and slighting interesting that his father was a god but the follow through the novel was, to me, slow and boring.  They focus on more drama through out the novel instead of a full fleshing out of the fantasy. It feels more a drama with a side of fantasy instead of a 50/50 split. The novel had some resemblance to Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde shown through Charlie and Spider. When spider begins to take Charlie’s place in his daily life spider receives many blessings that Charlie doesn’t get to enjoy. As soon as spider enters his life all his lucky disappears and he must work to gain it back throughout the novel.  Two themes I saw in the book were always love your family and be careful what you wish for.

I understand what Gaiman tries to do with giving us a mythology for a modern time but for me it just didn’t translate and I wasn’t able to lose myself in the story. Maybe it’s the combination of modern times and mythology that bothered me because I felt an underwhelming amount of mythology as I tend to like things very different than reality or just straight modern world stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment